Bula and thank you for your interest in Tourism Fiji's Event Investment program.
This is a competitive funding program. Only events that best meet our criteria will be supported. Specifically, Tourism Fiji invests in events that deliver a clear, demonstrable return on investment.
We invest in events that:
- Align with Fiji’s brand values
- Bring overseas visitors to Fiji that otherwise would not have visited
We invest in public facing events via two separate event funds.
FUND 1 – EVENT DEVELOPMENT FUND (EDF) – Up to FJD$20,000 per event
The EDF is targeted at Fiji owned and operated events that need support getting established. These are events usually in their concept phase, or in the early stages of their development. The fund is provided to help Fiji’s event owners achieve financial sustainability. As such, EDF funding will be provided for a maximum of three years. To be eligible for EDF funding, events must:
- Be held in Fiji,
- Be owned and operated by a Fijian business or entity,
- Clearly demonstrate how it will deliver increasing numbers of overseas visitors over time
Please note that the following types of events will not be eligible for EDF funding:
- Markets, community fairs, school fetes and carnivals,
- Regular community gatherings such as club meetings, religious gatherings, classes (eg: cooking or craft classes),
- Performances by community theatre or performance groups (eg: choirs),
- Local sporting leagues or competitions
- Any business events such as Meetings, Incentives, Conferences or Exhibitions
FUND 2 – MARQUEE EVENT FUND (MEF) - FJD$20,000+ per event
The MEF is designed to secure and grow existing events for Fiji. These events may be high profile “one offs”, or established events that with targeted investment, will deliver more overseas visitors to Fiji. To be eligible for MEF funding, events must:
Be held in Fiji,
Be a registered business or entity (either in Fiji or internationally),
Attract a minimum of 100 international visitors
Importantly, event owners will need to specify what Tourism Fiji’s funding will be used for and how that is anticipated to drive visitor numbers.
The MEF will not fund business events such as Meetings, Incentives, Conferences or Exhibitions.
OUR ASSESSMENT PROCESS
Before assessing an application against our funding criteria (see below), Tourism Fiji (TF) will consider two factors first and foremost.
- The extent to which the event fits with Fiji’s brand values. To be considered, the event must demonstrate that it aligns with, or at the very least does not contradict, Fiji’s brand values.
- The time of year the event will be staged. Tourism Fiji invest in events to fill our hotels and motels when they need it most.
Events staged in December, January or February will be viewed favourably. Conversely, funding events staged in June, July or August will be difficult to justify.
Providing the event is a good brand fit for Fiji, and is staged at a favourable time of year, Tourism Fiji will assess an appropriate level of support for an event using the following criteria:
1. Economic Impact:
- Visitation and Spend – The number of international visitors the event can deliver, their anticipated length of stay, and their likely expenditure on items such as accommodation, food and beverage, retail purchases, travel and transfers etc,
- Event budget – The size and origin of event revenues and the amount spent with Fiji businesses,
2. Marketing Impact:
- Brand alignment – The extent to which the event aligns with Fiji’s brand values,
- Reach – The volume and quality of media coverage the event delivers in to Fiji’s key tourism markets,
3. Strategic Impact:
- Capacity building – The extent to which the event will build on Fiji’s event delivery capacity, knowhow and infrastructure,
- Local employment – Whether the event employs and actively upskills locals,
- Event content – The quality of the content for use in Tourism Fiji’s marketing activities,
- Environmental impact – The way the event interacts with the natural environment.
4. Community Impact:
- Community support – The extent to which the event has the support of, and engages with the local community
When preparing a funding application, it will also be important for event owners to:
- Tells us what Tourism Fiji funding will be used for. This will be particularly important for event owners that are applying for funding via the Marquee Event Fund. Tourism Fiji will need to understand precisely what our funding will be spent on, and how that spend will drive additional visitation to Fiji,
- Provide a well-articulated, event delivery, project management plan,
- Demonstrate financial stability and capacity of the event organiser to manage event budgets,
- Show how they will collect key data such as visitor numbers and length of stay data to provide to Tourism Fiji as part of the post-event reporting,
- Be able to verify and demonstrate how estimates in relation to visitation and media coverage have been calculated. Event owners will be asked to achieve certain KPIs to access all of the agreed funding. The figures provided by the event owner will be important in establishing those KPIs.
- Articulate whether the event has, or is seeking support from other Government departments.
If you think your event can deliver on Tourism Fiji’s objectives and fit our key criteria, please download the relevant editable PDF form at the bottom of this page.
You can submit the completed form, along with other supporting documentation to email@example.com
All funding applications will be assessed and awarded on a competitive basis. If you would like to better understand the process we apply to our event evaluation please read our evaluation process below: